Our only speaker today was Vera Kiphardt, broker associate with Remax Alliance in Arvada, Colorado. Today Vera spoke to us about lead paint – testing, forms and the reason why it needs to be handled with care. Lead paint was often used in homes until 1978, because it sped up the drying process, increased durability, maintained a fresh appearance, and was resistant moisture. Before renting or buying a pre-1978 home or apartment, federal law requires that sellers must disclose known information on lead-based paint or lead based paint hazards before selling a house. Todays’ real estate sales contracts must include a specific statement warning about lead-based paints and buyers have up to 10 days to check the home for lead. All landlords must disclose known information about lead-based paint hazards on the property before a lease take effect, as well, all leases must contain a specific warning statement about any lead-based paint that may be present on the property. Vera passed out the disclosure and obligation statement that Remax Alliance has all sellers’ fill out when selling a property – the forms are comprehensive and are meant to cover all possibilities.
There are a variety of ways that lead, or lead particles can into our bodies, such as breathing in lead dust this generally occurs during activities such as renovations, repairs, or painting that disturb painted surfaces. You can swallow lead dust that has settled on food, food preparation surfaces and other places. Children have been known to eat paint chips and can soil that contains lead. Lead is very dangerous to children under the age of 6, at this age a child’s brain and nervous system is more sensitive to the damaging effects of lead. The child’s growing body absorb more lead. The effects of lead in a child’s body can be nervous system and kidney damage, learning disabilities along with attention-deficit disorder, and decreased intelligence. They can be affected in speech and language development, as well as behavior problems, along with poor muscle coordination and decreased muscle and bone growth. While low-lead exposure is most common, exposure to high amounts of lead can have devastating effects on children, including seizures, unconsciousness, and in some cases, death.
If you are concerned about possible lead paint in your house there are a few ways to get it tested. You can have a lead-based paint inspection by a trained and certified testing professional, called a lead-based paint inspector. They will conduct a paint inspection using methods, such as a Portable x-ray fluorescence (XRF) machine or having a lab test of paint samples from your home. Before calling in an inspector it may be best to have a risk assessment done that will tell you if your home currently has any lead hazards from lead in paint, dust, or soil. This assessment will also tell you what actions to take to address any hazards that may be found. A trained and certified testing professional, called a risk assessor will take a sample of any paint that is deteriorated on doors, windows, floors, stairs and walls. As well as samples of dust near painted any surfaces and should sample any bare soil in the yard. Once the collection process is done you will receive the lab tests those samples. A combination inspection and risk assessment will tell you if your home has any lead-based paint and if your home has any lead hazards, and where they are located. Be sure to read the report provided to you after your inspection or risk assessment is completed and ask questions about anything you do not understand.
Lead poisoning can be very dangerous and needs to be taken seriously by any home or building owner, if this is a concern for you it can be remediated or encapsulated to prevent chipping and danger. When buying a home that is older than 1978 work with your agent to make sure you are aware of any issue in the home. Vera Kiphardt will help you through all the joys and dangers of home buying and selling.
Vera Kiphardt * Remax Alliance * 303.949.4499 * verakiphardt@gmail.com * www.homesincolorado.com