Today’s first speaker was Ginger Kaiser of Willows Floral in Golden, Colorado. Ginger took her time today to speak about spring flowers and bringing color into your house. First she spoke about her being strictly a local florist so she can offer the best quality bouquets, live plants and original designs. Ginger not only creates her wonderful designs personalized for each recipients – she also delivers them. This ability for direct client contact has helped her in building her business over the last seven years, many of her current clients started using her after receiving a bouquet from her. Ginger really enjoys the delivery part of her business as she gets to see the delight in the recipients face as they open the door!
Ginger then showed us the plants for spring that she brought for us to see today. The first example was a European Garden, which is a basket with a mix of small and medium sized plants in individual pots so after about a week they can be replanted. Next she discussed two Mother’s Day bouquets they she brought in – the first was a bouquet of tulips, carnations and greenery with gardening gloves. The second was a ceramic tea mug with carnations, daisy’s and baby’s breath – very cute! The last item that Ginger discussed was a small window box – perfect for an apartment or condo – full of pots of tulips, daisys, carnations and a wide variety of greenery. This was so colorful and happy a wonderful way to get some color in your home while waiting for things to brighten up outside! If you are looking for a local florist who will design a special design for whatever your needs are give Ginger Kaiser at Willows Floral a call!!
Ginger Kaiser * Willows Floral * 303-989-6446 * Flower_Queen@comcast.net
Today’s second speaker was Laura Kilty of Shaklee Corporation in Arvada, Colorado. Laura wanted to remind us the Earth Day is coming up and we all might want to start thinking about Spring Cleaning. This is a perfect time for Laura to talk about Shaklee’s non-toxic household cleaning products. The Shaklee Get Clean line of household products.
A couple of reasons to consider switching to green cleaners is your health or concerns about the environment. The great thing is that if you are switching for your health you’re also making a difference in the environment without even trying. So Laura went over the health factors first.
Things we know:
· 9 out of 10 suspected poison exposures occur at home with common household products.
· 80,000 chemicals registered with the EPA – less that 500 are tested for human health concerns.
· Labels don’t contain all of the information; the manufactures are only required to warn you on toxic ingredients if they cause immediate harm. So if a chemical can potentially cause long term health issues they do not have to tell you. Most don’t read labels anyway, we assume that if it’s on the shelf it’s safe, right?
· Of chemicals commonly found in homes, 150 of those have been linked to allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological abnormalities.
There are three ways that chemicals enter the body:
· Ingestion – this is the obvious part but oh so deadly, and why we have the poison control numbers.
· Inhalation – Surprisingly as poisonous as ingestion. When inhaled the toxic fumes go directly into the blood stream and travel to the brain, heart, liver and kidneys. Vapors are off gassing all the time so our exposure is constant. You can smell this of gassing in the cleaning aisle at the store, but at home there isn’t the quantity to notice it.
· Absorption – Your skin is another way that toxins enter the body. 60-70% of toxins that come into contact with your skin is absorbed and brought into the bloodstream. Laundry products are especially concerning.
Now let’s turn to the environment – when you choose the Get Clean products they are concentrated, so there are less products being produced, shipped and disposed of. All of the packaging is recyclable. You may not be a “tree hugger” but we can all do little things to simply make the world we’re living in a bit better, it’s a win – win. Shaklee’s Get Clean line is all concentrated, non-toxic and biodegradable. The company has been around since 1960 and the first company to be Climate Neutral Certified. If you are using the Get Clean products – Laura says thank you! If you haven’t tried them yet, contact Laura for a trial caddy of the cleaners and try them for a week. You will be hooked!
Laura Kilty * Shaklee Corporation * 303.420.3359 * KiltyCo@aol.com * www.LauraKilty.myshaklee.com