Our speaker today was Lori Kratzer of Damsel in Defense in Golden, CO. Damsel in Defense takes the matter of personal protection and while trying to make it fun they give you the information that you need to protect yourself. Lori spoke to us today about the safety tips for women. She will give us several ideas of how to deal with our personal protection. It never hurts to be proactive in this crazy world we live in.
- The human elbow is the strongest point on the body – if you are close enough to use it, do!
- If a robber demands your wallet or purse – DO NOT HAND IT OVER. Throw it away from you and the robber, if he is truly interested in your purse – he will go after it and when he does RUN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.
- If you are ever thrown into a trunk – kick out the back tail light and put your arm through the hole and wave. The driver won’t see you, but everyone else will. This has saved lives.
- DO NOT SIT in your car in a parking lot – this is a perfect opportunity for a predator to attack. When you finish shopping get in your car, lock your doors and leave. Or if someone is your car and has a weapon to your head, DO NOT DRIVE where he tells you – gun the engine and crash your car. Your airbag will save you but if the predator is in the back seat he will be thrown around. As soon as the crash stops – getting out and run.
- Parking in lots and garages – be aware of your surroundings always – when approaching your car look in the back seat and the passenger floor area prior to getting in. If you come back to your car and there is a large van is parked on the driver’s side get in on the passenger side, this is a very common way for predators to kidnap a victim.
- Always take an elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and a perfect spot for a crime, especially at night!
- If a predator has a gun and you are not under his/her control ALWAYS RUN! A person shooting at a moving target will only hit that target 4 out of 100 times and even then chances of hitting a vital organ are minimal. So RUN in a zigzag pattern.
- DO NOT HELP a single man in a parking lot – we have all heard of Ted Bundy – a good looking, well-educated man with a cane or cast asking for help is a red flag for being attacked. If you really want to help go back to the place you were patronizing and ask for them to help the person.
- Two situations at home to be aware of are hearing a baby crying outside late at night is a way to draw you outside – just call the police! A second way that predators are drawing their victim outside is to turn on all of your outdoor faucets and leave them running. Once again call the police and DON NOT EXIT your house!
If you find yourself in a position where you are being attack – Damsel in Defense products can be a good way to protect yourself. The pepper spray that Damsel in Defense contains 18% red pepper with 2 million scoville heat units, this is second only to the pepper spray carried by the police. But the special ingredient in the Damsel in Defense product is a UV die that will stay on the skin of you assailant for up to a week and only shows up under black light. The pepper spray is good for up to five years but should be replaced at that time if not used. Damsel in Defense also offers a line of stun guns from the Tiny Takedown – which packs a punch, can be concealed in the palm of your hand – all the way up to the Striking Distance – a long stun gun that you can use at a 12” distance. All of the stun guns work through clothing and only have to be in contact for 3-5 seconds and will keep the perpetrator on the ground for up to 15 minutes. If you are interested in personal protection give Lori Kratzer a call, she can find the item that is right for you!
Lori Kratzer * Damsel in Defense * 720.273.1687 * email@example.com